If you’ve dreamed of a smooth, uncluttered look for your kitchen design, it’s time to put that dream into action. There are many ways to incorporate some total kitchen style during a cabinet refacing project.
Check Overall Kitchen Design
To create a contemporary kitchen, all or most of the major elements of your kitchen design should adhere to that style. While many people create eclectic mixes of contemporary and traditional styling, that approach will not work if the goal is a true contemporary kitchen design. Instead look for contemporary styles of the following elements:
- Kitchen cabinets
- Kitchen appliances
- Kitchen flooring
- Wall tile
- Cabinet hardware
Kitchen Cabinets Set the Tone
The kitchen cabinet style you select will go a long way toward creating a contemporary kitchen design. When planning a cabinet refacing project, look for cabinet doors and drawers with the following features:
- Flat fronts and limited detailing
- No crown molding
- Sleek materials (such as laminate)
Spice Up Kitchen Design With Modern Appliances
Nothing says contemporary like stainless steel appliances. Look for a sleek side-by-side refrigerator and commercial range to blend with your refaced cabinets. Also look for these characteristics:
- Thin stainless steel appliance door handles
- Limited detailing on appliance doors and knobs
- Shiny stainless steel appliances (as opposed to more subtle matte finishes)
Contemporary Kitchen Countertop Styles
Many contemporary kitchen designs feature edgy countertop surfaces, such as:
- Stainless steel – to blend with stainless steel appliances. Carry the metal look on the backsplash for a dramatic look.
- Concrete – this rough, hard surface has an urban look. Look for natural, honed concrete or a painted surface for an added touch.
- Granite countertops – a perennial favorite in many kitchen designs. Try sharp black for a contemporary look.
Kitchen Cabinet Hardware is Finishing Touch
The cabinet knobs and pulls you select should add the finishing touch to your contemporary kitchen design. Try adding styles that have minimal detailing and a sleek, edgy look. Among the options are stainless steel, thin pulls and crisp, round knobs in aluminum.
When planning a cabinet refacing project, look for ways to change your kitchen design. If you’ve always wanted a dramatic, contemporary kitchen design, look for ways to incorporate the style into your new kitchen design.